We purchase the best tasting coffee regardless of its certifications and we always pay well above Fair Trade prices on every coffee we purchase. The world’s best coffees are known as specialty coffee and specialty coffee is purchased based on quality. We do not use “Direct Trade” terminology because we do not want to discredit the crucial role that exporters and importers play in the specialty coffee industry.
We believe coffee producers should receive the best prices for producing the best coffee. In addition to always paying producers above Fair Trade prices, our relationships with coffee producers, exporters, and importers are very important to us. We honour the producers by telling the story of their coffees. You can read the stories of our current offerings on our coffees page.
Three out of four of our blends are certified organic. These three blends and our roasting facilities are certified organic by the Fraser Valley Organic Producers Association (FVOPA).
SWISS WATER® DECAF
Our decaf beans are processed by Vancouver’s own Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Company. While other decaffeination processes use chemicals such as benzene or dichloromethane to remove caffeine, the Swiss Water® Process is 100% chemical-free.
We are committed to being an environmentally friendly coffee roaster.
In 2009 we completely redesigned our Vancouver roasting facility for optimum emissions control. To eliminate smoke, our roaster has its own individual emissions control unit, which converts the smoke into thermal energy. We also also use a computerized control system which we developed in partnership with an emissions control manufacturer. This system controls our afterburner so the level of activity matches the quantity of smoke produced by the roaster. This means our emissions control system uses no more energy than it requires for its task. Since these changes, we have reduced our thermal energy output by roughly 30%.
In 2017 we introduced new Biotre coffee bags that are biodegradable and recyclable. Biotrē Film is made from 60% (by weight) renewable wood pulp. The wood pulp portion is biodegradable. Third party testing confirmed that nearly all of the wood pulp portion will disintegrate into healthy compost over 84 days in a backyard, home composting environment. The remaining 40% (by weight) of the bag is Polyethylene (PE) with an additive that is designed to make it disintegrate significantly faster than standard plastic. Biotre is best disposed by placing it in a privately managed compost pile where the PE layer and one-way degassing valve and tin-tie can be removed manually and disposed. When a portion or all of Biotre is properly disposed with regular trash, its impact on the environment will be much less compared to a standard plastic/foil material.
OVER + ABOVE
The coffee we enjoy would not exist without the hard work of the farmers who grow it. These farmers, who produce the best coffee in the world, also happen to live in some of the poorest areas of the world. While we are committed to always paying those farmers a good price for their coffee, we feel that there a lot more we can do to make a positive difference in the coffee growing countries—over and above our basic responsibility as coffee roasters. That is why we created the Over + Above initiative.
PROJECTS WE CONTRIBUTED TO THIS YEAR
In 2017, we’ve partnered with Imagine1Day for a very special project: learn more about our JJ Bean x imagine1day kindergarten build.
- Read our 2015 Donation Report.
- Read our 2014 Donation Report.
- Read our 2013 Donation Report.
- Check out our 2015 Habitat for Humanity trip to Guatemala.
- Check out our 2013 Habitat for Humanity trip to El Salvador.
We also donate coffee and/or barista volunteers to various events within our community. Here are some of the organizations/events we supported in 2015 (in alphabetical order):
55+ BC Games, Canadian Harambee Education Society Golf Tournament, First United Church, Gastown Yule Duel, Mission Possible, Quest Food Exchange, Reel 2 Real International Film Festival, SeaWheeze Marathon, SFU Vancouver Frosh Week, Union Gospel Mission, Vancouver Heritage Foundation, Vancouver Tweed Ride, Woodward’s Annual Pancake Breakfast, Worship Central Conference
JJ Bean annually supports DOXA Documentary Film Festival and PuSh International Performing Arts Festival. Both festival official programmes can be picked up at any JJ Bean location during circulation time.