About the position
The JJ Bean Coffee Roasters production kitchen at JJ Bean Railway serves 17 JJ Bean locations throughout Vancouver. Our production runs 7 days a week so flexibility is required. Shifts start at 6am and 9am, with expectation that you are available for both start times. It’s a fast-paced environment and we work with a sense of urgency to complete daily tasks. We function on teamwork, hard work, efficiency, and fun. Overtime may be a possibility if we have a exceptionally busy day.
Our Bakery is looking for new production bakers/prep cooks to join its team! One position is full-time (32 to 40 hours per week) with possibility to become full-time permanently, the other is part-time (16 to 24 hours per week).
As a production baker you will be working with 4 other bakers every shift. There are 5 bakery positions that work on rotation; each position serves a specific purpose and offers variety in a factory production environment. Different daily tasks include: scaling ingredients, mixing large batches of batters and doughs, scooping cookies, ensuring stock rotation, preparing sandwiches, helping with prep if needed, daily cleaning
As a prep cook you will be working with 3 other cooks every shift. Different daily tasks include roasting veggies, meat, preparing cold sauces, making soups, cooking eggs, making wraps.
Starting wage is $15.00 hourly with opportunity to increase and bonuses based upon food production, food cost, and bakery cleanliness audits. All JJ Bean employees are entitled to extended medical benefits (after 6 months), free coffee and espresso drinks while on shift (cafe is open Monday to Friday), 30% discount on merchandise, food, and drinks at all JJ Bean cafes, and 1lb free whole bean coffee every 40 hours worked.
– basic knowledge of mixing methods
– basic kitchen knowledge (roasting veg, making cold sauces, roasting meat, using a meat slicer.
– quick learner, able to pick up information by observing
– physically fit, able to lift up to 25kg, able to work on your feet for +8 hours
– able to communicate and read English
– Food Safe Level 1, understand FIFO, kitchen safety, etc.
– some shifts start at 6am so reliable transportation is a must (we are near bus routes and have car & bike parking available), other shifts start at 9am. The successful candidate must be available for both even on weekends.
– be a team player, have a positive attitude, be well-organized, take pride in your work, and be reliable
– a willingness to learn and take direction
– graduated or currently attending baking and pastry school or culinary school.
– previous production bakery experience (ex. Large batch production, working with 60qt Hobart mixer.)
– having worked with tilt skillet
– familiar with vegan and gluten-free baking
– likes a busy, fast pace environment
– Food Safe level 1
– Occupational First Aid level 1
How to apply
Email email@example.com with “JJ Production Baker” or “JJ Prep Cook” as the subject line. You must attach your resume, and include a cover letter outlining your experience for this position. Or you can apply online via our career’s portal.