Once upon a time in Vancouver, the Woodward’s Christmas window displays were the talk of the town. This year, JJ Bean is bringing the same tradition to a new generation of holiday shoppers and wide-eyed little moppets, and we’re giving YOU an opportunity to create the display!
The display window is at the entrance of JJ Bean’s Woodward’s location, and is approximately 2.4 m high, 2.4 m wide, and 61 cm deep.
Just like the classic department store window displays, your display can consist of printed images, three-dimensional objects/models, lights, animatronics, or whatever you can think of (and create) - as long as it fits into the window dimensions stated above. Your initial submission should be in the form of a 2D mockup, sent to us as printable high-res JPG or PDF files. Details are below.
- Entrants may submit up to 3 high resolution .jpg or .pdf image files (around 46 x 61 cm print size).
- Submissions should include a written description of the display (250 words max). Please include any relevant details about the construction & mounting of your display.
- Please email submissons to email@example.com. Digital submissions only, please.
- Deadline: 12:00 Midnight, October 15, 2010.
- Contest is open to all JJ Bean customers.
- Projects should address the context and expectations for public discourse within this public space (in other words, please keep it family friendly).
Submissions will be judged by John Neate (JJ Bean), Joost Bakker (Dialog), John Fluevog (John Fluevog) and Elspeth Pratt (SFU School for the Contemporary Arts).
The top three entries will be notified on Oct 22nd, and a smaller version of their presentations will be displayed in the JJ Bean window between Oct 31st & Nov 7th. The final winner will be announced on November 9th, and their accredited full size display will be in the window from Nov 24th – Dec 31st.
We have some awesome prizes lined up for the most deserving entries, made possible by our generous sponsors:
- $1,000 gift certificate from JJ Bean
- $500 towards art school tuition from Dialog (Formerly Hotson Bakker Boniface Haden)
We wish all of our entrants the best of luck!