We are committed to being an environmentally friendly coffee roaster.
In 2009 we completely redesigned our Vancouver roasting facility for optimum emissions control. To eliminate smoke, our roaster has its own individual emissions control unit, which converts the smoke into thermal energy. We also also use a computerized control system which we developed in partnership with an emissions control manufacturer. This system controls our afterburner so the level of activity matches the quantity of smoke produced by the roaster. This means our emissions control system uses no more energy than it requires for its task. Since these changes, we have reduced our thermal energy output by roughly 30%.
In 2017 we introduced new Biotre coffee bags that are biodegradable and recyclable. Biotrē Film is made from 60% (by weight) renewable wood pulp. The wood pulp portion is biodegradable. Third party testing confirmed that nearly all of the wood pulp portion will disintegrate into healthy compost over 84 days in a backyard, home composting environment. The remaining 40% (by weight) of the bag is Polyethylene (PE) with an additive that is designed to make it disintegrate significantly faster than standard plastic. Biotre is best disposed by placing it in a privately managed compost pile where the PE layer and one-way degassing valve and tin-tie can be removed manually and disposed. When a portion or all of Biotre is properly disposed with regular trash, its impact on the environment will be much less compared to a standard plastic/foil material.
YOUR PARTNER IN CHOOSING GREEN
JJ Bean is proud to operate in two cities committed to leading Canada’s environmental initiatives. The City of Vancouver aspires to be the greenest city in the world by 2020, and the City of Toronto is working to divert 70% of landfill waste by 2026. In the past we have taken steps to reduce our carbon footprint, but we will take bold action to avoid, reduce, reuse, and recycle.
On October 1st, 2018, we introduced some new initiatives:
- If you choose to enjoy your drink for here, in one of our ceramic cups, we will give you a $0.15 discount.
- If you choose to bring your own cup for a drink, we will give you a $.40 discount
- For customers using our new commercially compostable Ecotainer coffee cups with recyclable Britevision sleeves, there will be no discount. Double cup requests will receive an additional $0.20 charge.
- To encourage you to make environmentally friendly decisions, we matched the first $50,000 in travel mugs sold in October with a JJ Bean gift card equal to the purchase price of your new travel mug. For example, if you bought a $20 travel mug, you received a $20 gift card.
Some of our other Green Initiatives include:
- Our 340g (12oz) coffee bags use Biotre packaging, which is 60% compostable and 40% biodegradable. We sell reusable Airscape coffee containers. If you choose to reuse your bag or fill your container, we give you a $0.50 discount on whole bean purchases.
- Our cold cups are 100% compostable made with plant based resins.
- Our straws are 100% compostable made with plant based resins. Our hot cup lids are also compatible with cold cups, so there is no need to use a straw.
- Our plastic cutlery is 100% compostable, made with plant based resins.
- Our till receipts are now Ecochit.
- In 2009 we completely redesigned our Vancouver roasting facility for optimum emissions control, reducing thermal output by 30%.
- In 2019 we switched our JJ Leaf tea bags from food-grade nylon to corn based bio-bags.
- In 2020 we raised our cup discounts to make reusing even easier: Enjoy your drink for here in one of our ceramic mugs, save $0.25. Bring your own mug, save $0.50.
Some of the things we have planned through 2020:
- Switching plastic water bottles with glass water bottles.
- Switching our muffin bags to non-bleached and compostable material.
- Switching our 2 lb coffee bags to Biotre packaging. (There is no 5 lb option available, but when it is we will make the switch).
There will be further improvements as more options become available to us. We are excited to see the impact that we can have together, partnering for a more sustainable future.
We purchase the best tasting coffee regardless of its certifications and we always pay well above Fair Trade prices on every coffee we purchase. The world’s best coffees are known as specialty coffee and specialty coffee is purchased based on quality. We do not use “Direct Trade” terminology because we do not want to discredit the crucial role that exporters and importers play in the specialty coffee industry.
We believe coffee producers should receive the best prices for producing the best coffee. In addition to always paying producers above Fair Trade prices, our relationships with coffee producers, exporters, and importers are very important to us. We honour the producers by telling the story of their coffees. You can read the stories of our current offerings on our coffees page.
Three out of four of our blends are certified organic. These three blends and our roasting facilities are certified organic by the Fraser Valley Organic Producers Association (FVOPA).
SWISS WATER® DECAF
Our decaf beans are processed by Vancouver’s own Swiss Water Decaffeinated Coffee Company. While other decaffeination processes use chemicals such as benzene or dichloromethane to remove caffeine, the Swiss Water® Process is 100% chemical-free.
OVER + ABOVE
JJ Bean’s Over + Above program exists because the farmers who produce the coffee we enjoy so much also happen to live in some of the poorest areas of the world. While we are committed to always paying excellent prices for excellent coffee, we can do more to make a positive difference in coffee growing countries over and above our basic responsibility as coffee roasters.
Water = Life. Providing access to clean water in Yirgacheffe, Ethiopia with Run For Water.
On May 19, 2018 we launched an incredible partnership with Run For Water: For every JJ Bean water bottle sold, $1 will go towards building wells and providing access to clean water in Yirgacheffe, Ethiopia, one of the most renowned coffee growing regions in the world. Access to clean water is one of the single most transformative impacts, and particularly improves health, education, and opportunities for females. We’re proud to partner with a water charity, as 99% of brewed coffee is water. For more information and updates on JJ Bean’s Water = Life campaign, visit runforwater.ca/jjbean. We encourage all our customers to enjoy the cool, filtered tap water we provide at all our locations.
In 2017, we partnered with Imagine1Day for a very special project: learn more about our JJ Bean x imagine1day kindergarten build.
- Read our 2015 Donation Report.
- Read our 2014 Donation Report.
- Read our 2013 Donation Report.
- Check out our 2015 Habitat for Humanity trip to Guatemala.
- Check out our 2013 Habitat for Humanity trip to El Salvador.
We also donate coffee and/or barista volunteers to various events within our community. Here are some of the organizations/events we supported in 2015 (in alphabetical order):
55+ BC Games, Canadian Harambee Education Society Golf Tournament, First United Church, Gastown Yule Duel, Mission Possible, Quest Food Exchange, Reel 2 Real International Film Festival, SeaWheeze Marathon, SFU Vancouver Frosh Week, Union Gospel Mission, Vancouver Heritage Foundation, Vancouver Tweed Ride, Woodward’s Annual Pancake Breakfast, Worship Central Conference
JJ Bean annually supports DOXA Documentary Film Festival and PuSh International Performing Arts Festival. Both festival official programmes can be picked up at any JJ Bean location during circulation time.