JJ Bean: Your Partner in Choosing Green
JJ Bean is proud to operate in two cities committed to leading Canada’s environmental initiatives. The City of Vancouver aspires to be the greenest city in the world by 2020, and the City of Toronto is working to divert 70% of landfill waste by 2026. In the past we have taken steps to reduce our carbon footprint, but we will take bold action to avoid, reduce, reuse, and recycle.
On October 1st, 2018, we will be raising our drink prices while introducing some new initiatives:
- If you choose to enjoy your drink for here, in one of our ceramic cups, we will give you a $0.15 discount.
- If you choose to bring your own cup for a drink, we will give you a $.40 discount.
- For customers using our new commercially compostable Ecotainer coffee cups with recyclable Britevision sleeves, there will be no discount. Double cup requests will receive an additional $0.20 charge.
- To encourage you to make an environmentally friendly decision, the first $50,000 in travel mugs sold at JJ Bean this October will be matched with a JJ Bean gift card equal to the purchase price of your new travel mug. For example, if you buy a $20 travel mug, you’ll receive a $20 gift card. (Note: We cannot accept gift cards to purchase mugs during this promotion.)
- This is only the most exciting change to what we already offer, and what we have planned for the rest of 2018.
Some of the things we already offer:
- Our 340g (12oz) coffee bags use Biotre packaging, which is 60% compostable and 40% biodegradable. We sell reusable Airscape coffee containers. If you choose to reuse your bag or fill your container, we give you a $0.50 discount on whole bean purchases.
- Our cold cups are 100% compostable made with plant based resins.
- Our straws are 100% compostable made with plant based resins. Our hot cup lids are also compatible with cold cups, so there is no need to use a straw.
- Our plastic cutlery is 100% compostable, made with plant based resins.
- Our till receipts are now Ecochit.
- In 2009 we completely redesigned our Vancouver roasting facility for optimum emissions control, reducing thermal output by 30%.
Some of the things we have planned through January 2019:
- Switching plastic water bottles with glass water bottles.
- Switching JJ Leaf tea bags from food-grade nylon to corn based bio-bags.
- Switching our muffin bags to non-bleached and compostable material.
- Switching our 2 lb coffee bags to Biotre packaging. (There is no 5 lb option available, but when it is we will make the switch).
There will be further improvements as more options become available to us. We are excited to see the impact that we can have together, partnering for a more sustainable future.
For more information about social responsibility, visit our About page.